All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 37 posts | 
by talhart on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 pm
talhart
Forum Contributor
nwra@refugeassociation.org

Please find attached a press release regarding the withdrawal of several images from the 2009 Refuge Photo Contest:

Apologies if you have received this more than once.

Altered and Misrepresented Refuge Photo Contest Images Withdrawn
For Immediate Release
November 6, 2009

Washington, DC- The National Wildlife Refuge Association (NWRA) has withdrawn Semi-finalist recognition from five images in the 2009 Refuge Photo contest after a close review raised questions about the integrity of several images submitted by photographer Maxis Gamez of Sarasota, Florida.

“The NWRA appreciates the hard work and artistry of the many photographers who submitted accurately-represented photographs taken on national wildlife refuges, and will be vigilant to protect the integrity of its contest,” said Evan Hirsche, President of NWRA. “Photos submitted by Mr. Maxis Gamez were confirmed to have been in violation of contest rules and have been removed as a result.”

Five images submitted by Mr. Gamez received semi-finalist recognition by contest judges, and were placed in the Winning Image Gallery on NWRAs website. Shortly afterward, contest staff became concerned that several images were potentially in violation of contest rules regarding significant digital alterations as well as the stated location of the images. NWRA promptly investigated the matter, and Mr. Gamez admitted to digitally altering one image and misrepresenting the location where another was taken. The photographer declined NWRAs request to provide the original photographs as evidence in support of his claims, and asked that his images be withdrawn from the contest.

Contest rules stipulate that photos must be taken at a refuge in the National Wildlife Refuge System or at a refuge-associated Waterfowl Production Area, and prohibits digital alterations that add any elements or objects that do not exist in the original scene.

The winning images from this years contest can be seen here:

http://refugeassociation.org/contest/ContestHome.html

Submission requirements from this years contest can be seen here:

http://refugeassociation.org/contest/20 ... ules2.html

The mission of the National Wildlife Refuge Association is to conserve America's wildlife heritage for future generations through strategic programs that protect, enhance, and expand the National Wildlife Refuge System and the landscapes beyond its boundaries that secure its ecological integrity.

# # #

by Maxis Gamez on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:26 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
NWRA Photo Contest Images Withdrawn

Hello,

Thank you for posting this. Let's look at the image above.

This is the perfect opportunity to ask ourselves how much is too much? Let this be an eye opener to all and let’s turn it into something positive.

[*] Is it really worth OVER editing our images?

[*] Are we becoming more editors than photographers?

[*] Are there photographers teaching extensive image editing worth it?

[*] Is it worth removing that stick in the background?

[*] Is it worth fixing every part of our photographs?

[*] Should we photograph for a photo contest or should we photograph thinking that we can edit that image later?

[*] Since some edit images to the extreme, should they simply stay away from photo contest? Because they know they will violate every rule?

Today I got a phone call from a camera club president that was told about the press release. She mentioned the dilemma of several club members have in every meeting and their “Photoshop cr**”. The constant battle over editing images to the extreme and that’s just ONE camera club.

The bottom line is this probably an ethic type of question BUT is our “extensive” ethic appropriate? In my own opinion……. obviously NOT.

There are several photographers advertising extensive Photoshop image editing techniques to “enhance” our images. Not to mention how many tutorials you can find online. Some go as far as removing subject’s body parts, and replace it with the next frame, taking or extracting parts of photographs and so on… The list is endless.

I’ve just learned that it not worth it. Let this be a lesson to you. It’s not worth editing our images to the extreme.

Let's look at the image above. Would you call that extensive editing? Obviously Yes!

Let’s get it right straight out of the sensor.

Happy shooting!
Maxis Gamez

by neverspook on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:50 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Well, not to answer all your philosophical questions, Maxis, and not to enter into the how much editing is too much debate, BUT it seems to me the sample image you posted above does not actually violate the contest rules. They state you cannot add any elements that don't belong in the image but they say nothing about removing elements that do belong. Unless I missed something. And clearly in the images above you have subtracted elements but did not add any (unless you count blank sky and plain sand that replaced the removed OOF birds). So technically you could argue that the above image qualifies (unless it was one of the images of concern based on stated vs. actual location).

It's all a very slippery slope.

Roberta Olenick
Vancouver, BC
http://www.neverspook.com

by Roman Kurywczak on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 am
Roman Kurywczak
Lifetime Member
Member #:01353
OK, I guess I have to ask Maxis here......I have admired your work for a while and am seriously diappointed at the above.

Removing birds would definitely not fall into "limited image Modifications" under any stretch of the imagination. I do feel you are being made an example of and maybe you can clarify some of the other issues; Not taken in the location etc.......I know you have a ton of great images so I am left wondering why? Did this pertain to all the images?

I am looking forward to a response.

by George DeCamp on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:21 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
I agree with Roman here. I know Maxis is a fantastic photographer and has many terrific images. I met him and it was a pleasure shooting with him. I guess sometimes people just don't think when it comes to a contest.

One other question that is begging for an answer here. How did they find out? Did someone turn you in?

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you, this too shall pass!!!! :wink:

by LouBuonomo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:02 pm
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
I agree with both you guys... I have no problem with this type of "cleanup" to make the image better if you were selling this as a fine art print or something, but most of the contests frown upon this. I know I was really strict about the images we sent into NB for just such reasons.

Lou
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by jim monroe on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm
jim monroe
Forum Contributor
I agree with Lou completely, I would do something like the before and after above for say posting here (in my post stating items had been cloned out) and in many other instances. However most contests have rather specific and strict rules about this. Again like Lou I have to not consider a reasonable fraction of my images when submitting to most photo contests such as those run by Nature's Best Photography. So for me the answer to the first question "Is it really worth OVER editing our images?" can only be answered after I know what one wants to do with the image, submit to contest, enjoy for one's own sake, etc.
One thing seems certain, there is a lot of interest in post processing with some rather extreme editing based on the ads for tutorials on such activity one sees.
Jim Monroe

[url=http://www.jimmonroe.smugmug.com/][b][u]Smugmug Gallery[/b][/u][/url]

by Arthur Morris on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:26 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
There is a spirited thread on BPN regarding this issue herehttp://www.birdphotographers.net/forums ... post377415 and Lana Hayes was kind enough to provide a link to this BPN thread.

Some folks are concerned that Maxis does not have the opportunity to defend himself on the BPN thread (because he was banned for numerous and repeated violations of the forum guidelines). Several folks noted that Maxis "defended" himself on this thread.

Since he cannot participate on the BPN thread I gladly look forward to his answers to the following questions (all of which have been asked on the BPN thread) here:

#1: Did the contest rules state that photographers would be required to submit the RAW files for images making it to the final rounds?

#2: Assuming that the answer to that question is yes why did you refuse to submit the RAW files?

#3: Is it your contention that the wonderful image that you have posted above was not created at Fort DeSoto County Park?

ps: Good job on the image optimization of the image above. Looks as if you used a few Quick Masks; did you learn that technique from Robert O'Toole's APTATS CD?
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by Arthur Morris on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:49 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Maxis, The contest rules state the following:

"Limited image modifications are allowed. The intent and effect of any modification must be to produce a more natural looking and accurate photograph."

You state above,

"Let's look at the image above. Would you call that extensive editing? Obviously Yes!"

Was the image above one of the disqualified images?
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by George DeCamp on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:45 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Arthur Morris wrote: #1: Did the contest rules state that photographers would be required to submit the RAW files for images making it to the final rounds?
#2: Assuming that the answer to that question is yes why did you refuse to submit the RAW files?
I am puzzled about something here.....

The contests I have been involved in (and you know this better than me) require RAW files only if you reach the Finals (BBC, Natures Best as an example). I was asked to submit RAW files to both after I was told I made the finals and then they made the decisions on winners only after judging the RAW files for validity. It seems here the decision on the winners was already made, then they asked for Maxis RAW files even though he didn't make the finals, he made the semi-finals....see http://refugeassociation.org/new-public ... eases.html. Maybe I am just missing something here.

Why did the judges announce the winners and post them and the semi finalists on the website...THEN ask for Maxis RAW files? Either way it doesn't make his problem go away....just sayin!

by LouBuonomo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
George,

My guess is when an issue was raised they asked to see the "negative". NB doesn't require RAW for final judging but they can request it... Maxis seemed like a good bloke when we met him in FL, however In this instant info age the any transgression can become a sh*t storm.

Lou
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by George DeCamp on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:07 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Buonomo wrote:George,
My guess is when an issue was raised they asked to see the "negative". NB doesn't require RAW for final judging but they can request it... Maxis seemed like a good bloke when we met him in FL, however In this instant info age the any transgression can become a sh*t storm.
Lou
Oh, totally agree!!! My "guess" is someone saw something in an image or 2 and turned him in to the judges. Again, that does not excuse the original actions.

Natures Best had you send in the RAW file on the CD when you submitted some years back, now they do not require it when you submit but only now can ask for it when you reach the finals stage...and then "if you have it". BBC is the same, once they get to the finalists they ask them to submit the RAW files to review but with them it's no tickie no shirtie. I actually looked at this contest and see no mention of RAW files at all....which is probably not the smartest way to run one of these things these days. Perhaps they will change that now. Frankly I think they should all require the RAW files at some point before the results are announced to prevent this very problem. Sadly there is way too much hocus pocus going on these days.

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Gee, the thing even made it into some newspaper's weblog.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... g-for-some

by Roman Kurywczak on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm
Roman Kurywczak
Lifetime Member
Member #:01353
Hello to the LI boys!!!...yes this is getting a life of its own......I don't want to stretch this out longer and try to figure out anything.....I will leave it to Maxis and wait for his reply ......Given the contest rules and the image above.....Why did you chose to enter this and what were the other images and what was the "issue" with them? I don't care about other possible stuff and will wait for your reply until I comment further.
PS Goerge....when is Hawaii?...have a great time!

by George DeCamp on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:39 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Roman Kurywczak wrote: PS Goerge....when is Hawaii?...have a great time!
Hey Roman!!! February is grass skirt watching time for me, when you are in Tanzania! I will for sure try out some of your techniques on star trails....once again you gave a great talk at the camera club, I enjoyed it!!! Hope to see you before Feb!!

by Akos Lumnitzer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 am
Akos Lumnitzer
Forum Contributor
When and where do I sign up for your next incredible workshop Mr. Maxis?
Best regards...

Ákos

[url]http://www.amatteroflight.com[/url]

by Brandon Holden on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:38 am
Brandon Holden
Forum Contributor
Arthur Morris wrote: Since he cannot participate on the BPN thread I gladly look forward to his answers to the following questions
Has he replied? Since he's been banned from your forum, I don't think I'd be holding my breath...
Maxis wrote:
[*] Should we photograph for a photo contest or should we photograph thinking that we can edit that image later?

[*] Since some edit images to the extreme, should they simply stay away from photo contest? Because they know they will violate every rule?
Throwing my .02 at your questions Maxis! I think all of your first questions are personal decisions...

The first quoted question above, I occasionally shoot thinking that I can photoshop this or that later. With that being said, I usually just try to get it right in the first place! If I know I have something really special happening in front of me, I try very hard to make sure I do it right the first time, just in case I want to enter the photos in a contest at some point in the future!

As for the last question, if you want to play their game, you've got to play by their rules. It's their ball! I entered my first photo contest this past year, and I was going through images I could enter. I frequently said, aww cr*p! When I looked at the RAW file for the first time in a few years. I'd actually forgotten how much editing I had done on some of these images, and did not enter them!

Obviously they're trying to make an example of you. Lots of people want you to answer to them, but do you have to? This thing will bug you for a few weeks, but eventually it might just become something funny/ironic to tell your workshop participants. I think the best outcome would be for you to go back out and take some more great photos. Heck, enter the contest again next year (with rule-abiding images :wink: ) and see if you can win the thing!

Happy Shooting

Brandon
[b]Brandon Holden[/b]
Hamilton, Ontario
[b][u][url]http://www.PeregrinePrints.com[/url][/u][/b]

by Ramón Casares on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:58 pm
Ramón Casares
Forum Contributor
Well, it is a preety minor issue to me that has just become larger than what it should have, I have done that kind of optimizations to my images many times, I don't usually participate in contests and that is only why this never happened to me but honestly it could have happened to me easily :oops:

I understand that many might not like this type of manipulation, and I am Ok with that, but I have read here and on other forum some serious personal attacks or mocking phrases that are simply out of place, I have even recieved an e-mail from someone that took the time to foward the info to a bunch of photographers... and that people, at least to me, as we say here in Argentina, is to make wood out of the already fallen tree, totally unnecessary.
At the end this is not about Maxis IMO, it should be about manipulations, rules, contests, etc, but again, to take it personal with the photographer is sad and to claim that these "atitudes" trash photography is even worst, photography is very well seen by people and market arround the world if one is good enought, so if someone is having a hard time being respected as a photographer.. don't lay on others your own flaws.

Maxis, I know you are a great photographer so I hope this issue not to last... or at least not to be enlarged by others just to "pick on you". My very best wishes.

by Arthur Morris on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Yes, I do feel that folks can learn from their mistakes.
Yes, I do feel that that folks should be forgiven.
And, do not be shocked here, I feel that Maxis is quite a talented photographer.

I cannot however ignore the following:
1-Maxis was banned from BPN for his failure to follow the Forum Guidelines despite repeated requests to do so.
2-Maxis then generated a massive and malicious spam attack against BPN.
3-Maxis drove a jet ski up to the shore of the island at Alafia Banks where spoonbills nest. The machine was incredibly loud. I firmly believe that because of the tremendous noise generated by jet skis that they should not be within a mile of any rookery island.
4-Maxis entered images in the NWRA contest that were in violation of the rules involving image manipulation and locations. Maxis' NSN post seems to state that he knew that the image was in violation of the contest rules. In that posts he implies clearly that Photoshop instructors
5-Maxis is currently offering to do Quick Mask slide shows for local camera clubs. Maxis learned to use Quick Masks either from Robert O'Toole or from Robert's APTATS I CD. As far as I know, Robert was the first to utilize Quick Masks for nature photography and has generously shared his knowledge. For Maxis to offer a slide program based solely on the techniques developed and taught by another professional is at best disrespectful.
6-Maxis entered an image of a nesting Snowy Plover as having been created at Egmont Key where they have never been recorded as nesting. His "defense" was that he takes lots of images and got confused. That is patently ridiculous; I have been photographing for almost 27 years now, have taken probably close to a million images (film and digital combined) and though my memory is poor (and gets poorer every day) if you showed me any one of them I could with very rare exception (as most photographers could) tell you instantly exactly where it was photographed.
7--Furthermore, in his NSN post:

Hello,

Thank you for posting this. Let's look at the image above. This is the perfect opportunity to ask ourselves how much is too much? Let this be an eye opener to all and let’s turn it into something positive.[*] Is it really worth OVER editing our images?[*] Are we becoming more editors than photographers?[*] Are there photographers teaching extensive image editing worth it?[*] Is it worth removing that stick in the background?[*] Is it worth fixing every part of our photographs?[*] Should we photograph for a photo contest or should we photograph thinking that we can edit that image later?[*] Since some edit images to the extreme, should they simply stay away from photo contest? Because they know they will violate every rule?
Today I got a phone call from a camera club president that was told about the press release. She mentioned the dilemma of several club members have in every meeting and their “Photoshop cr**”. The constant battle over editing images to the extreme and that’s just ONE camera club.
The bottom line is this probably an ethic type of question BUT is our “extensive” ethic appropriate? In my own opinion……. obviously NOT.

There are several photographers advertising extensive Photoshop image editing techniques to “enhance” our images. Not to mention how many tutorials you can find online. Some go as far as removing subject’s body parts, and replace it with the next frame, taking or extracting parts of photographs and so on… The list is endless.

I’ve just learned that it not worth it. Let this be a lesson to you. It’s not worth editing our images to the extreme. Let's look at the image above. Would you call that extensive editing? Obviously Yes! Let’s get it right straight out of the sensor. Happy shooting! Maxis Gamez

Does anyone see a pattern?

(Note: Maxis never makes it clear above if the Laughing Gull image that accompanies his post we one of the images that was removed from the judging.)

What is ludicrous about his comments above is that he while he is insulting and demeaning folks who teach others to use the latest technologies (including Photoshop) to improve their images out of one side of his mouth while peddling his skills as a Photoshop instructor to local camera clubs out of the other side.

Maxis has been desperate in his desire to get ahead in the industry but I do believe that with his actions of the past few months noted above he is doing just the opposite.
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

Last edited by Arthur Morris on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Arthur Morris on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:05 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Brandon, Maxis has not answered the questions posed to him here (above) either.

Ramon. It is hard for me to believe that you would enter an image into a contest that you knew to be in violation of the rules of the contest.
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

37 posts |