Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by ColorChange on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:19 am
ColorChange
Forum Contributor
Check this out guys. Even though the resolution is getting slammed by compression/vimeo, check this out (@ ISO3200)!

http://www.vimeo.com/1858950

Now I think even some of you guys will get more excited over what can be done. Imagine the same video without compression destruction. D*mn I can't wait!
Tim

by c.w. moynihan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:49 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Pretty cool. The real question is, can you isolate a frame of your choice from the vid clip and will it be as good as that frame taken in still camera mode ?
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
c.w. moynihan wrote:Pretty cool. The real question is, can you isolate a frame of your choice from the vid clip and will it be as good as that frame taken in still camera mode ?
nope

by c.w. moynihan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
c.w. moynihan wrote:Pretty cool. The real question is, can you isolate a frame of your choice from the vid clip and will it be as good as that frame taken in still camera mode ?
nope
Is there technology out yet that you could do that ? ie: Red Camera ?
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by rbaumhauer on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 am
rbaumhauer
Forum Contributor
Video "frame grabs" from the 5DII will be very nice, but you have to realize that the shutter speed tops out at 1/125 sec. You're not going to freeze action in video mode, and you're only going to get 2MP "stills" from it.
Rick Baumhauer
Photographer/Consultant
http://www.baumhauerphoto.com

by ColorChange on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:57 am
ColorChange
Forum Contributor
You can interrupt the video by depressing the shutter and get a full frame shot, I think it's a little over a 1/10 second interruption in the video (but I can't find the reference).
Tim

by rbaumhauer on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:02 pm
rbaumhauer
Forum Contributor
Tim - I believe it's closer to one second for each full-res still you take while shooting video.
Rick Baumhauer
Photographer/Consultant
http://www.baumhauerphoto.com

by dbostedo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:40 pm
dbostedo
Forum Contributor
c.w. moynihan wrote:Is there technology out yet that you could do that ? ie: Red Camera ?
The Red cameras will yield full 12 MPixel stills I think, but you're still shutter speed limited. So things that are moving in the frame won't necessarily be sharp.

by ColorChange on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:05 pm
ColorChange
Forum Contributor
rbaum, You could be right. I can't find the reference. I just remember reading it somewhere (thought Vincent but can't find it)?
Tim

by KjetilS on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:53 pm
KjetilS
Forum Contributor
The really exciting thing about the 5D video is its low light abilities. Can't wait to try it out :)

K
Some of my images on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80711530@N07/

by Griffin on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:12 pm
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420
My mind keeps yelling "Stop! Stop! Please stop! I don't have the budget!"
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

by jhapeman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:57 am
jhapeman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00845
Definitely interesting, and I can think of some great uses for this, but I keep thinking that 3 minutes of a shrike just looking around is really *boring*. :D

Jeff
Lots of gear and an understanding wife

by Royce Howland on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:01 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
As some pundits have said, the advent of video in DSLR's will be just like the advent of digital cameras, personal web sites, blogs, online galleries, and all sorts of other technology-fueled mass market innvovations -- it will create a sudden surge in the availability of crappy content. :) Still, I'm looking forward to what I might be able to do with the capability...
Royce Howland

by California4Life on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:21 pm
California4Life
Forum Contributor
At 30fps for video, That would eat up the life span of your shutter real quick.. :lol:
-Mac

[url]http://macdanzigphotography.wordpress.com[/url]
[url]http://www.macdanzigphotography.com[/url]
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/california4life[/url]

by mantarey on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:55 am
mantarey
Forum Contributor
Here's a link to some video grabs guys, from our group using several kinds of lenses including a dedicated macro lens (MPE 65).

http://www.pinoyphotography.org/forum/i ... =2922.4680

by philw on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 am
philw
Forum Contributor
California4Life wrote:At 30fps for video, That would eat up the life span of your shutter real quick.. :lol:
I think you're assuming something about the way the shutter works which is unlikely to be true. Or you're being ironic and I missed it.

As some pundits have said, the advent of video in DSLR's will be just like the advent of digital cameras, personal web sites, blogs, online galleries, and all sorts of other technology-fueled mass market innvovations -- it will create a sudden surge in the availability of crappy content. :) Still, I'm looking forward to what I might be able to do with the capability...
Mmm.. I seem to remember avoiding video because I thought it would be really, really hard to do well. I'm sure there will be a lot of junk content... on the other hand, I would argue that the advent of digital cameras has increased the general quality of the images I see across the board, so there's more stuff out there, but there's more good stuff too.

by Royce Howland on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:05 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Here's a link to a writeup on PDN about using the Red One:
http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/c ... 3e1da?pn=1

National Geographic photographer David McLain has gotten into producing mixed still/video work. The subject of the article is an ad shoot, but it bears on the discussion of how or why to mix still & video and some of the challenges. I think a camera like the 5D Mk II could balance out some of the downsides of the Red or any other full-blown cinematic digital video rig that comes towards still shooting from video -- namely, size, weight, system complexity... and cost. And not actually being designed for stills. (Red Scarlet presumably will change the game for them.)

Interesting comment from McLain towards the end: "I find shooting motion fascinating. It's the same feeling I got when I first saw a black-and-white print come to life in Dektol developer 25 years ago in my high school photography class. And from a business point of view, when people see it, they get it. You can see the light bulb go off in people's heads."
Royce Howland

by tringa on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:51 am
tringa
Forum Contributor
That video is so cool! I don't see a 50D in my immediate future, but for those of you that get it, have fun!
Jacob Spendelow
Tringa Photography
[url]http://www.tringa.org[/url]

by ColorChange on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:33 am
ColorChange
Forum Contributor
Interesting article Royce. I think we really are seeing a "game changing" going on here.

Now instead of enjoying/showing people pictures on the wall (even 48" wide ones), I can watch super high resolution living video's on a 110" theater projection screen. While I will still dominantly use prints, the video capability opens up a whole new world.
Tim

by Royce Howland on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
It certainly won't change the game for everyone, but that's perfectly fine. Not everybody needs to shoot B&W, or print pano images, or any number of other things. Back when I used to practice digiscoping (digital P&S attached to a 500mm spotting scope via some lens/eyepiece coupling gear), I used to shoot short video clips of interesting behavior by wildlife subjects. The quality then was total garbage :) so I never did anything serious with it. But it could be both fun and potentially commercially useful to be able to do this with a 5D Mk II and my Sigma 300-800mm lens, for example. Stock video as well as specific project or commissioned video works could be meaningfully within reach of "regular Joe" photographers at this point...
Royce Howland

21 posts |