Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:31 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on when the battery grip(s) for this new camera will show up on the market?

I am assuming Nikon will offer their's right when the D500 hits the market.   I believe I shall refuse to pay them their price.

So any opinions on when the generic brands might show after the release of a new DSLR?  

Thanks ahead.

by amullis on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
You will pay nearly $2,000 for a D500 body and then slap a cheap third party battery grip on it? I would advise you not to do it! If that third party grip is defective and it damages your new D500, you might have just invalidated the warranty.

Is saving a $200 worth damaging a $2,000 camera?

by photoman4343 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I agree with I agree with the previous poster. No third party batteries or battery grips for me. However, I do use third party 10 pin releases and similar gear when needed. I will be getting the Nikon grip for my d500.

Joe
Joe Smith

by Dave Courtenay on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 am
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
I purchased a Phottix grip for mt D800, I had a Nikon grip on my D800E, The phottix was similar but the shutter button did not have the 'feel; of the Nikon and soon became intermittent in its use eventually failing completely, Lesson learned and will not make that mistake again

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by Mark Picard on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I have a Vello grip on my 7200 and so far so good, having used it well over a year now. No issues - I will get one again for the D500. Nikon just wants way too much for the D500 grip.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Larry Shuman on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:12 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I have a Vello grip on my D600 and it does not fit tight and it has never worked as advertised. If I were you I would get the Nikon one.

Cheers
Larry

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:58 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Again, does anyone have a general idea of when these generic grips will be available for the D500?   :?:

by billg71 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:29 pm
billg71
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Again, does anyone have a general idea of when these generic grips will be available for the D500?   :?:
Sometime after the D500 hits the streets and the 3rd-party manufacturers can reverse-engineer, tool up, manufacture and ship product. The real question is why you would want to save 10% of the camera price on an accessory that has questionable origins and the absloute assurance that if it screws up your $2K camera Nikon won't honor your warranty.

I think the Brits have a term for such, it's "penny-wise and pound-foolish". Or, as we say in the States, "you gets what you pays for."

Why do you ask?

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
billg71 wrote:
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Again, does anyone have a general idea of when these generic grips will be available for the D500?   :?:
Sometime after the D500 hits the streets and the 3rd-party manufacturers can reverse-engineer, tool up, manufacture and ship product. The real question is why you would want to save 10% of the camera price on an accessory that has questionable origins and the absloute assurance that if it screws up your $2K camera Nikon won't honor your warranty.

I think the Brits have a term for such, it's "penny-wise and pound-foolish". Or, as we say in the States, "you gets what you pays for."

Why do you ask?

Well then, you don't know the answer to my question either do you?

Nikon is hosing people $400 for the D500 MB D17 grip.   It is not as if they are even close to a fair price.   Their grip prices are outrageous.  You buy them.  Ok? 

Vello builds high-quality accessories that IMO are built to quality standards that are equal to the equivalent Nikon accessory.  I know because I have bought them.   If I do not like the Vello grip out of the gate, I simply return it to B and H within 30 days.   If it does not show the life span that I expected, then I will get another one or buy the Nikon.  

BTW, Mark is quite happy with his Vello grip.  

The Vello grip is well below $100.

I do not believe ANY generic grip I buy is going to damage any Nikon body I have.   You believe it if you want to.  I think that is foolishness.

What I am doing is common sense:

$400
_____
a savings of $300+   :D

Robert King

https://itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:I have a Vello grip on my D600 and it does not fit tight and it has never worked as advertised. If I were you I would get the Nikon one.

Cheers
Larry
Why didn't you send it back ?   Why did you keep it ?   But your aren't me.    :)

by Larry Shuman on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:22 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I sent it back 3 times and the problem persisted Until I modified the thing now it is screwed to the bottom of the camera
and is used only as a weight for balancing my 600mm. Again you would be better served with the Nikon unit. The fact is
camera makers are making these bodies too small and light.

Cheers
Larry

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:58 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:I sent it back 3 times and the problem persisted Until I modified the thing now it is screwed to the bottom of the camera
and is used only as a weight for balancing my 600mm. Again you would be better served with the Nikon unit. The fact is
camera makers are making these bodies too small and light.

Cheers
Larry

well, I do not know exactly why Larry, but this point you make is well-taken by me.

And I agree that they are too lightweight.  I have said it many times.  I will take a camera with some mass to it, over these lightweight ones today.  That was the point of my OP; i.e. I was thinking how long am I going to have to wait till I am able to balance this D500 with my 80-400G?  Just in the beginning I was offended because all I wanted to know from people here was your opinions on WHEN the generics might show up on the market.  

Guess maybe I will think about it. 

But you have to agree that $400 is outrageous.  There seems to be no reason for it but a hosing.  Maybe I will buy the Nikon and test it.  If it really does seem that much better, then I will change my mind.  

My Nikon grip for my D610 does not seat without some movement.  It's a hassle.  

D7200
The Nikon grip on the D7200 I had is much better because it has some type of CAM (two-screw) mechanism where there is a significantly greater mechanical advantage in its tightening.  I have to say that I like everything about that D7200, except the buffer.   

Ok, I am now listening to all of you on this.  Will reconsider it now.  Thank you.

12 posts |