« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by rajandesai on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
http://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/sonys-full-frame-pro-mirrorless-fatal-mistake/

If you are buying Sony FF mirrorless purely for size and weight advantage, you are kidding with yourself. And I agree completely.  As far as sensor performance is concerned - sure.

Don't want to start a war here, but I thought the article brings out few good points.

by Neilyb on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Oh here we go. Cherry pick some high quality big lenses and compare them to a DSLR rig. I notice the author failed to compare, let's say, the Loxia 21mm to the Milvus/Distagon 21mm on a 5D3? I know which I would rather carry!

He basically saying: Sony are giving you more choice with high quality glass (which more than out resolve current sensors), compact lenses which are very good, possibly the best image quality in any 35mm camera (and internal 4K video)... and you idiots fell for it!

Makes little sense to write the article unless he did it in a Ken Rockwellesque need for publicity?

by rajandesai on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:50 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
I think 24-70 f/2.8 is a very popular lens and so is 85mm. Personally I use both of them commonly and makes sense to me. Like I said - for me this article made perfect sense and was able articulate reasons why I thought about the change but haven't acted on it yet. I should have added "YMMW" caution to my original post :)

I am not sure how much weight/size/price advantage Loxia 21mm offers.

by baldsparrow on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:18 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Hmmm, on the other hand ... http://petapixel.com/2016/04/05/defense-sonys-pro-mirrorless-cameras/

by rajandesai on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
baldsparrow wrote:Hmmm, on the other hand ... http://petapixel.com/2016/04/05/defense-sonys-pro-mirrorless-cameras/
Excellent. Love it. Like I had mentioned in my original post - performance should be the main reason for the switch....

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The article is total BS in some areas as he is cherry picking to prove some sort of agenda.

I can do similar cherry picking and come up with this.  Nikon D810 + Milvus 21mm f/2.8 vs a7R II plus Loxia 21mm f/2.8 - noth lenses give similar class leading image quality.  Note that I cropped the Milvus picture to eliminate the lens hood for a fair comparison.
The article is clearly written by someone with an agenda and lacks objectivity in a lot of areas.  I'm just picking on the size thing here but there are other areas in the article that skew the information for the author's agenda.  There are also valid points, most of which were never an argument to begin with.

Just for fun, here is another comparison 5DSR+24-70 f/4 vs a7R + 24-70 f/4 - and note that these size comparisons ignore the more important metric for the traveling photographer - weight:

by DChan on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Seems to me most of the change in size and weight is from the smaller camera body.

by Neilyb on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:00 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
So if you want the best, it seems Sony might be the one to choose, Lens Rentals thinks so:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/0 ... nce-tests/

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:Seems to me most of the change in size and weight is from the smaller camera body.
That holds more true for zooms than primes but in the end, whether DSLR or mirrorless full frame, the exit pupil still needs to cover the whole image circle for full frame so that ends up being a fundamental limitation.  But for primes, like the 21mm shown above, in many cases there can be a big difference in size but as the maximum aperture gets larger, the sizes get more and more similar so an f/2.8 prime for FF mirrorless is generally a lot smaller but a f/1.4 is not.  On the zoom side, all of the optics involved reduces the amount of miniaturization possible for equivalent performing lenses.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:So if you want the best, it seems Sony might be the one to choose, Lens Rentals thinks so:

Definitely impressive results, it even beats what was previously the best lens like this ever made - the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II.

by Neilyb on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Neilyb wrote:So if you want the best, it seems Sony might be the one to choose, Lens Rentals thinks so:

Definitely impressive results, it even beats what was previously the best lens like this ever made - the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II.
I would say wait for the 100MP sensor and see which is sharpest :)

by baldsparrow on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor

Going off here at a bit of a tangent ... but comment "below the line" in that link and others recently have complained about Sony's service standards. I only have a single experience of having used their outsourced service, and one swallow does not a summer make, but I have to say that the company they use in Canada fixed my camera effectively and returned it to me within ten days. I was very pleased.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

I would say wait for the 100MP sensor and see which is sharpest :)
Their tests are done on an optical bench - it is completely independent of sensor.

by Jens Peermann on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:30 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Fatal mistake???

How many people died?
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Darren Huski on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 am
Darren Huski
Forum Contributor
EJ is right on about the sizes. My pack has gone from a 5D2 with three lenses (17-40L, 70-200f4 IS, Samyang 14mm) to a Sony A7R with four lenses (Loxia 21mm , Nikon AIS 50mm f/1.8 Nikon 100mm f/2.8 E, and the Samyang 14mm , while I wait for the Voigtlander 15mm ) and it's smaller and lighter than ever.  Plus smaller 52mm filters!  Its everything I was looking for as a landscape photographer. Plus a much better sensor.

by Vertigo on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:57 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
FWIW I now use an A7 for my family/landcape/casual photography, instead of a 5D2.

I had to fix some color rendition problems in LR (especially skin tones), but after setting a special DNG profile, now my A7 has canon colors ;o)

Of course the A7 body is lighter than a 5D2, but there is more : thanks to the short flange distance, you can mount leica M lenses, which are really smaller than their SLR counterparts, and smaller than the loxias, too. I currently use a 35/2.5 summarit, and have just ordered a 75/2.5 summarit.

Here is a 35mm comparison:
Note that to mount the M lens on the A7, you need to add a 10mm-thick adapter, which can include an helicoid for close-focusing.

by Neilyb on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Like I said above, we can cherry pick any system to be larger/smaller/heavier than an other system. For me the A7R with 21mm Loxia and 35mm filters is just a dream. Hopefully the new Voigtlander lenses will enable some ultra wide too, and they are kept small by not being f2.8.

by Vertigo on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
I would cherry-pick leica M lenses everytime then, because they are often the smallest, seriously.
They are FF, sharp, contrasty and quite distortion-free, too.
As if optical laws were different when translated in german ;o)

18 posts |