All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:00 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
The answers above are good but don't address your question about SyncToy.  I have been using it for many many years and still use it with Win 7.1 Professional and still like it a lot.  As for alternates, goodSync is probably the best one out there.

Hi E.J.  Thanks for your comments on my SyncToy question but, if you don't mind, may I ask you to elaborate on a couple of issues?

I've decided to use it but am wondering what, IN YOUR OPINION, the best choices to a couple of the options are.

1.  Do you use Synchronize or Echo as your basic option, and why?  I'm thinking of using echo but wonder if I have completely thought it through.

2.  Do you manually sync your folders or use Task Scheduler to do it automatically?  If using Task Scheduler, how often do you use it.  I am thinking about using it "when a specific event is logged".  I am assuming that means when a file is saved, deleted, or renamed.  Is that correct?  Again, in YOUR opinion, is this a good option?

3. In choosing the options before syncing, is there an option to check the files/folders for viruses/malware, etc. automatically using MSE through SyncToy?

I plan on using SyncToy to sync all of my images from a 2TB drive to another 2TB external drive. I also intend to use it to sync files from my 500GB SSD to another external 500Gb regular HD.

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but I really respect your opinions on all things computer.

Off topic (somewhat).  What back-up program do you use?

Thanks,
Bill Chambers 
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
1. Echo for BU 2, 3 and 4, and the option, I forget it's name, that contributes but doesn't delete files for my large array backup. I would not use synchronize personally since it takes things both ways. If I mess something up on a backup for whatever reason, it would sync back to my primary storage disk.
2. I do it manually every time I make any changes but if you feel like doing it on a schedule, that's fine too. In my case, I end up backing up multiple times per day on days that I a home. Pretty much every time I walk away from the computer I initiate a backup. it works for me but may not for others.
3. Image files rarely are prone to that sort of thing but if it is a concern, simply do a scan before doing the backup.

I'm confused by the question abut what backup program I use :) we are talking about sync toy and that's what I use.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:01 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks so much E.J.!
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

3 posts |