Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Mike in O on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
For those of you that enjoy Cabin Lake in Central Oregon, there is some house keeping that is upcoming:

Hi all,

Approval was given by Deschutes NF to rehab the lower blind at Cabin Lake. Permission was also given to do some clean-up work around the area. I am splitting this job into two work sessions. First the clean-up will be done and afterwards the blind rehab. I am looking for people interested in helping with this project. Date windows are weather dependent and also people dependent.

Work Session 1 (April 20-22):

Clear brush on the road that leads back to the parking area. The first 100 yards or so of the road leading back is becoming quite narrow due to brush encroachment. We can trim back to create a 9 ft wide road (it's around 6 ft now). We will trim and collect the brush for later disposal. We can do this via electric hedge trimmers and manual trimmers.

Remove suet feeders on trees and blinds. I have replacements that will consist of a metal poles with wood mounts for the suet holders. There will need to be two post holes dug. One will go near upper blind, the other near lower blind.

Clear brush from two trails that go down to lower blind. I did a little work on this on my own last Summer since it was getting so over grown. We can make a good 18"-2 ft wide trail. Again, trimmers, loppers and such to do this clearing.

Clear brush at the lower blind where photographers set up photo blinds. It's just getting a little overgrown here. This is pretty minor work.

Gather up and remove all the branches stacked by the lower blind. Remove broken cinder blocks too. Lots of people bring there own branches and leave them. The pile is now quite large. Most of this can be hauled away or for that matter just spread out in the forest.

I anticipate this to be 4 hours of work depending on the number of people helping out.

Work Session 2 (April 24-29)

This will be the work on the lower blind. We are going to replace the siding. In the process we will put in hinged viewing windows so they can be closed when not in use. The old siding will come off quite easily and will be replaced with T1-11 siding. We need lots of tools for this job. I have a pretty good list of materials I will send out to folks who wish to help. The new siding will also be stained. I guess if I got ambitious I could get all the siding stained prior to the job and then just do touch-up work on site. So, a little "pre-work" party at my home? Also the entire lower foot of the blind will be wrapped in 1/4" wire mesh to try to keep rodents from chewing apart the bottom of the blind. If the siding gets pre-stained then it will probably take 4-6 hours for this work.

If you want to help with one or both of work sessions let me know and what dates (of the date windows given) will work for you. If there is something specifically you want to do let me know. Also include your phone number. Please respond to me and NOT THE LIST.

All participants must wear safety glasses on this project. You must bring your own glasses. You should also have a good pair of work gloves. There will be a safety briefing prior to the start of the work. Carpooling can be arranged from Bend and/or La Pine. We will probably leave La Pine around 9am (depending on temperature).

Bird watching at Cabin Lake this time of year is decent but nothing like later May, Summer and Fall. We can enjoy seeing maybe 12-15 or so species.

Tom

by Mike in O on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The mesh will probably be the coated square mesh you can get at any feed store which comes in rolls. This is a wild place and chipmunks and mice will probably get into the blinds (hantavirus and plague are know in the area ). There is a Badger living under one of the blinds and bats are known to frequent the blinds.

by James Vellozzi on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Can one bring there own blind to Cabin Lake? I have never been there, (Live in New York) and I am planning a trip there this summer 2016. Is it crowded and popular? Is it a safe area? I wish i could help out
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Mike in O on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
There are upper and lower blind, each with a guzzler to attract wildlife (even though there are mature Ponderosa pines, this is a desert area so water is the big draw). Many people bring their own hides which can be a problem for shooters opposite them. The area is getting quite a bit of use for its location (45 miles from Bend). Danger may come from some cowboys that watched Brokeback Mountain too many times, it is safe.

by James Vellozzi on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:18 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:There are upper and lower blind, each with a guzzler to attract wildlife (even though there are mature Ponderosa pines, this is a desert area so water is the big draw).  Many people bring their own hides which can be a problem for shooters opposite them.  The area is getting quite a bit of use for its location (45 miles from Bend).  Danger may come from some cowboys that watched Brokeback Mountain too many times, it is safe.

Hi Mike
Im sorry I cannot tell if that was a joke re:Broke Back Mtn..

Nevertheless, is there a local town nearby to stay at?

thanks for any information

James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Mike in O on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:08 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It was a lame joke....Christmas Valley has a motel.  Bend, LaPine, and Sunriver have everything from cheap to extravagant luxury.  The blinds are located next to a Forest Service campground which allows 1st light within walking distance if you are so inclined.  Silver Lake has the cowboy dinner that you may find fun (lots of wildlife areas near there (wolves seen there last week)  http://www.cowboydinnertree.net/

6 posts |